I actually found this recipe on one of those cute pie plates that I picked up our local Goodwill store. I have always loved those pie plates and wanted a collection of my own! I hope to find more on my journeys and hopefully the recipes of them will be as good as this chocolate pie one!
2 cups of sugar
3 heaping tablespoons of flour
3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa
3 cups of half & half or milk
3 tablespoons of butter
vanilla (to taste)
3 eggs, separated
1 baked 9" pie shell (I recommend deep dish!)
- Cook first four ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat until thickened.
- Whip egg yolks until creamy, add small amount of hot cocoa mixture, stirring constantly.
- Combine 2 mixtures into saucepan, cook until thickened; add butter, vanilla, allow to cool.
- Fill shell with mixture, top with meringue
- Bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes
- Place egg whites in a glass/ceramic bowl (these work best) with 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- Beat at a low speed to begin with slowly adding a small amount of sugar as you mix.
- Your meringue will begin to thicken and rise the more sugar you add
(4 tablespoons is recommended).
Tada! A yummy chocolate pie for you and your family! I hope they enjoy it as much as we do! Oh yeah! Be sure to have a slice with a big ole glass of ice cold milk! It hits the spot every time!!!
From my front porch to yours,
You can find me linked up to the following blog hops and link parties!